Last updated on July 18th, 2019 at 07:30 am
It is really annoying when your computer stuck while doing some important stuff. There are many reasons that make your computer slower, consume unnecessary storage, showing multiple errors, takes time to Turn on and Turn Off. One such reason is the files stored as temporary files, this is, in fact, one of the major reason that causing the above problems. If you are facing such problems then this tutorial definitely blows your PC speed. I suggest you follow every method to improve your PC performance by deleting temporary files on Window 10. But if you are looking for the easiest method which I personally used and recommend is the last method.
What are Temporary files and How do they Enter on your PC?
As the name defines temporary, these files are temporary that holds data until the process is going on, as soon as the process stops these temporary files become redundant. Bit complicated? Let us make it clear by taking an example as it is really important for you to know what exactly the temporary files are?
Suppose you are using a Software of quite large data such as Video editor software, to run the functions smoothly, your Operating System creates the temporary files and this holds the information for the time it is being used. Once the process completed the temporary files no longer works. You can also consider them as recovering files during the process going on as they temporarily save your data. Now the picture is more clear, I guess!
- Must-Try: How to factory reset Windows 10 PC without Disk Installation?
- How to repair Windows 10 using the Automatic Repair feature?
Where Are Temporary Files Located?
Mostly Temporary files are located in two locations on your Windows 10 PC.
Temporary files are in the format ending with .tmp, .temp. It may be noted that once the programme gets closed it is not necessary that the temporary files get cleared.
How Temporary files Affects your Windows 10 PC?
Temporary files keep on increasing with every programme you use, the application you install, and the software you are accessing. These files may increase from several MB to GBs. Sounds Annoying? Yes! that’s a reality, temp files may consume your several GBs memory resulting in slower PC performance. Speed is the biggest factor caused by temporary files.
It is always recommended to delete temporary files on Windows 10 to keep your PC fast and healthy. There are many ways to clear all temporary files to optimize your PC performance.
Are Temporary files safe to Delete?
As the name defines temporary, which means these files are temporary and are safe to delete from your PC. However, the currently running programme still have some temporary files which you can not delete this time. In our previous topic How to remove junk files from PC, our readers are confused whether it is safe to delete temporary files or not, so we extended our detail in this topic to get stuff more clear.
How to Delete Temporary Files On Windows 10 PC?
Here we are discussing the best ways to clean up temporary files from your Windows 10 PC. Here we are using some best ways to delete all temporary files and extract the space that is unnecessarily occupied.
- Deleting temp files by manually locating temp files
- Removing temp files using cmd
- Cleaning temp files on Windows PC using the batch file
- Using Utility software to delete the files
Method 1: Deleting Temporary Files By Manually Locating Temp Files
- Open Run dialogue box (Win key +R).
- Type %temp% and press Enter key.
- Here you will see the complete list of temporary files stored on your PC. You can easily remove them.
- Select all Temp files and delete them.
Once you have deleted, go to Recycle Bin and remove them permanently from your Windows 10 PC. Another way to check out all the temporary files which are usually recommended is by using a command prompt.
Method 2: Removing temp files using cmd
- Open Command Prompt. Run cmd as an administrator.
- Type below command and hit enter key.
del /q/f/s %TEMP%\*
This will delete your all your temp files. Another method that most prefer is using Disk Cleanup utility.
Method 3: Clean temp files using Disk Cleanup
- On the search box of Windows 10 screen, type Disk Cleanup and hit enter key.
- Now select the drive you want to clean. From the drop-down list, you can easily choose one. Click OK to move next.
- From the list of cleanup option, choose Temporary internet files and Temporary files.
- Click OK and reconfirm the deleting option by clicking Delete Files.
By this, you successfully delete the temporary files using Disk Cleanup.
Must Read: How to increase internet speed using cmd?
Method 4: Deleting Temporary Files Using the Batch Files
Deleting all temporary files in one go from C:\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp. Follow below script.
del C:\Temp /S /Q /F del C:\Temp /S /Q /A:H FOR /D %%p IN ("C:\Temp\*") DO rmdir "%%p" /s /q del C:\Windows\Temp /S /Q /F del C:\Windows\Temp /S /Q /A:H FOR /D %%p IN ("C:\Windows\Temp\*") DO rmdir "%%p" /s /q
Method 5: Alternate way to Delete Temporary Files on Windows 10 PC
This method is the default offered by Microsoft to check the amount of memory the temp files are consuming. Let us check how this works and how to remove temp files.
- Open Settings on your PC. Type Settings on search box below if you are unable to locate.
- Look for System option, click on it.
- On the left side list, go to the Storage option. On the right side choose the Local storage you want to check the storage (Usually C: Drive).
- Hold on for some seconds till the Storage Usage will display. You can see how much storage your temp files are occupying. In my case, it is more than 5 GB. (I haven’t expected this much).
- Double click on the Temporary Files option, choose the specific files to delete and click Remove files.
By this, you can easily check the amount of capacity occupied by temporary files and you can easily delete them in one go. I hope the above methods works really fine and you easily removed all temporary files. It must be noted that along with these temporary files, many duplicate files, cache files are associated with the apps you are using. They are more dangerous when compare to temporary files in terms of consuming memory. These cache files are not easy to remove as you have done in removing temporary files. It is highly recommended to delete all the cache memory (hidden memory). For this, the best method is going for utility software, although we have previously discussed the manual method to remove all the junk files.
Method 6: Clean out Junk, Cache and Temp Files using Utility Software
On my list which I am using for the last 6 months is CleanMyPC from MacPaw. An amazing tool that works fantastic, if you have this then you can easily clean all the unnecessary files in one go. The feature I like the most about Macpaw CleanMyPC is that it intelligently deletes unnecessary files. During my first scanning I deleted about 15 GBs. If you are ready to spend a few bucks then I recommend you to use this software. As it saves your time and works automatically. Let us check how this software works.
- Download MacPaw CleanMyPC and after successful installation launch this.
- On the very first screen on the left side, you will see various options, click on the Scan button.
- Hold for a moment till the process gets completed, one the process completed the screen will display the number of unnecessary files it extracted. As previously discussed all the extracted files are smartly scanned.
- Click on the Clean button to clean out all the junk, cache memory to free up your PC space.
This is the simplest methods among all and cleans up all the unnecessarily files which are almost impossible to find manually.
If you have read this complete tutorial, you may be noticing about other hidden files in the form of Junk, Cache. You might be not aware of this earlier, but you should remove them too in order to speed up your PC and clean up space. If you are only going for removing the temporary files then the above methods work well, but for all other hidden files, the manual method does not work. For this, the utility software is highly recommended. CleanMyPC is a great tool. CleanMyPC has a lot more features that accelerate your PC performance, improve computer startup, and many other things. Must read MacPaw CleanMyPC review.
You may also like:
- 7 quick tips to speed up USB data transfer
- 2 best ways to restore accidentally deleted files on Windows 10
- How to sync computer automatically using Google Drive & Google Photos?
I hope you find this tutorial on 6 Best Ways to Delete Temporary Files on Windows 10 PC useful and successfully removed all temp files. For more tech tutorial, latest deals, online security tutorial follow us on Facebook, Twitter.