Sometimes it becomes necessary to change the file extension to different formats such as .rtf, .txt and much more. You can easily change the file extension in Windows 10/7/8 by following some simple steps. There are many possible ways to change either offline or online but offline is very much easier.
Why change the file extension?
One common example to change your file extension is that sometimes your computer does not support the format of your existing file so you need to change the file extension. You may also require changing file extension when the format of the file you are uploading may showing an error. For all these purpose different files extensions are required.
How to see the existing file extension?
For Windows 7 or Windows Vista: Open the file you wish to change its extension in File Explorer (for this just type ‘folder option‘ after opening windows logo button). Go to organize option and tap folder and search option. Now tap on the View tab and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
For Windows 10: Open the desired file in File Explorer (for this just type ‘file explorer‘ after opening windows logo button). Now tap on the view tab and check or enable File name extensions.
Change File Extension
- Right-click on the file you wish to change its extension and select Rename option from the list.
- Here you will see the file name and it’s .extension.
- Change .txt to .rtf (for example) by just typing by removing previous extension format. After this press Enter key.
You are done with this. You have successfully changed your file extension. If you see some problem in new file extension format then you can easily restore to the previous extension by the same steps.
You may also like:
- How to know wifi password of your network
- Create write protection pen drive
- How to change login screen background