If you forgot Windows 8 administrator password then you can easily reset a password with cmd. The benefit of resetting your Windows 8 password with command prompt is that you don’t need to buy any software or any password resetting disk.
If you have set up an online account in Microsoft then you can easily recover your password but if you have local user account then you have to follow steps in below article.
How to Reset Windows 8 Administrator Password with cmd
For this, you must have Windows 8 recovery DVD.
- Insert the DVD into your computer and restart it.
- While starting press Boot key on a keyboard, different PC has different keys to start booting.
- Once Boot Menu open, select CD-ROM drive and hit Enter key.
- Now you will see Windows setup, click Next.
- Now go to Repair your computer on the bottom left.
- Click on Troubleshoot option.
- Click on Advanced option and then go to Command Prompt.
Now once cmd is opened you have to enter different commands. Follow the step by step commands given below.
- Type C: and hit enter.
- Type cd windows and hit enter.
- Type cd system32 and Enter.
- Type ren utilman.exe utilman_bak.exe and hit Enter key.
- Type copy cmd.exe utilman.exe and press enter key.
- Now type exit to close the cmd.
Now the page will be displayed to choose the option. Tap on Turn off your PC. Restart your PC again. Once you landed to password page, click on Ease of access icon (see screenshot below) and it will launch cmd.
Now there are two ways by which you can reset Windows 8 administrator password.
- After launching command prompt type below command and press Enter key.
- Now the User Accounts will automatically open. Now select the username (usually administrator user).
- After selecting a specific username, click on Reset Password.
- Now enter your new password and confirm it. Click Ok to reset your administrator password.
Once done with all above steps you have changed your password successfully. If still, you find any problem in this method then check out below method.
- Open cmd from Ease of Access icon.
- Type net user and hit Enter. Here you will see your user accounts.
- Type net user <user name> <new password> and hit Enter. There is space between them.
NOTE: Replace <user name> with your username from the user account list and replace <new password> with the new password you wish to set. For example (net user nitesh password).
- Type exit to close cmd.
Once done with these steps, now you can easily login to your PC with a new password.
After all these steps we have to reset the changes we have done. For this follow some simple steps.
STEP 1: Open Local Disk (C:)
STEP 2: Navigate to Windows> System32.
STEP 3: Find utilman and delete this file.
STEP 4: Now rename utilman_bak with utilman.
After this, you have to get them permission. For this follow some steps below.
- Right-click on utilman (renamed after step 4) select Properties> Security> Advanced.
- Now go to Change permission. Click on Change.
- Type username and click check name. Click OK.
- Now on Security menu click Apply and then OK.
You can go for Full control of Application Packages.
By above steps, you can easily reset your administrator password.
This article is meant for people who are familiar with the command-line tricks. If you have little or no experience with Command Prompt, I recommend you use the professional Windows password recovery utilities with a user-friendly interface. PCUnlocker is one of the best tools that enable even the most novice computer users to quickly bypass Windows 8 password for both local account and Microsoft account.
When you can’t log in to your computer, use a friend’s PC to make a PCUnlocker Live CD (or USB). Then use it to boot your locked PC and the password bypass utility will start to locate the user accounts on your Windows system.
Simply select your regular account and click the Reset Password button. You’ll shortly get a message saying your Windows password was reset successfully. Reboot and remove CD, you can then get back into your account and regain access to your files and applications.
You may also like:
- How to increase internet connection speed.
- How to know WiFi connection speed using cmd.
- How to sync PC automatically using Google Drive.