Here is the list of best Virtual Machine VM software for Mac. There is so much software available for every task, but in the same way, it becomes hard to pick out one. Well, no worries, we are here to provide you with the best and most in-depth guide we have listed after hours of research.
Our team uses all the VM software mentioned below. Based on experience and combining with the other user’s reviews for software, we are arranging them from higher priority to lower priority.
Before going for the Virtual Machine software, let us try to make some definitions clear. If you already know them, you are welcome to skip and directly read our top VM software.
What is a Virtual Machine?
Every computer is specified for one Operating System, but Virtual Machine (VM) is an application that enables you to run multiple OS on the same device. Suppose you have Mac, and by default, it has macOS, but if you have to add Windows OS on your Mac, then you need Virtual Machine software.
Users switch to Virtual Machine software because of its ease of working and smooth operations. It works on both a personal and professional level. Choosing the right software gives you proper access to every function.
Are there free options for Virtual Machines?
Nothing great comes for free! Similar is the case for Virtual Machine too. Although many VM software offers you a free license, even for enterprise usage, going for paid is a better option. As in paid, you have better customer support, advanced features, and a pleasant User experience.
But on this list, we have also provided some software that offers a free version that you can use.
Alternatives to Virtual Machine
As you already know, what precisely the Virtual Machine is. You can add one more Operating System to an existing one. Suppose you need to use only productivity apps and games that run on Windows, then you can use the integrated software without going for the VM software. The best alternative to VM software is using the other way without a complete setup of OS. We have listed this in 5th place, and if you are interested, you can try it.
CrossOver from CodeWeavers gives you access to the Windows application on your Mac.
5 Best Virtual Machine Software for Mac
If you are looking for the best solution, go for Parallels Desktop without any second thought. It offers a good user experience, super fast speed, quick file transfer, and much more—a thumbs up to its great features and ease of usage.
Parallels Desktop Overview
- Seamless: Without switching to the other or previous OS, you can directly operate the different OS on a single screen. In this way, you can quickly transfer files with the drag-and-drop option.
- Easy Setup: The best thing is Parallels Desktop automatically detects what you require. Suppose you are going to download Windows, then it automatically pop-up the Windows download option and saves your time.
- Lightning-fast: Most VMs are heavy and slow down the Mac speed, but Parallels Desktop is lightning-fast and runs everything without slowing down your Mac speed.
- Choose your view: Use Coherence Mode for working Windows applications without actually opening Windows OS or setting the complete screen of your Mac to the Windows screen. Choose whatever suits you.
Plans from Parallels Desktop
Parallels Desktop is available in different licenses. You can use Parallels Desktop for Mac, Pro, or Business Licenses with other supported languages. Our reader gets a special discount on the purchase of Parallels Desktop. Don’t miss this offer for now!
VMware Fusion is another top choice when we look for the best VM software for Mac. VMware Fusion allows users to run multiple apps across the OS without shutting down any personal OS. You can quickly run Windows on your Mac and hundreds of OS with more productivity, better security, and Agile.
For Business users, VMware provides a robust and secure desktop with better access to the application of different OS.
VMware Fusion Overview
- Powerful graphics: Normally, 2D graphics are well shown on all VM, but when we see 3D graphics, many VM software can not be up to the expectations. VMware has powerful graphics for 3D so that you can efficiently work on designing platforms such as AutoCAD and Solid Works.
- Unity View Mode: With this mode, you can quickly run any Windows apps directly from the Dock, even if you have minimized the Windows OS.
- Third-party software integration: VMware provides an API with which you can integrate with other apps on the same platform.
- Secure VM encryption: VMware provides you with secure VM encryption. This is best-in-class security for all the data and apps you are working with.
Plans from VMware Fusion
VMware Fusion and VMware Fusion Pro are the two plans that come under the Virtual Machine category. The Pro version includes additional features like creating linked clones and connecting to vSphere.
Don’t miss the special offer that VMware offers to our readers. You can get the best price for VMware Fusion.
VirtualBox from Oracle is another powerful tool in the Virtual Machine category. It is well defined for home as well as enterprise-level users. It is free software that is compatible with your Mac.
We found VirtualBox a little outdated, but if you are looking for freeware, you definitely must try this. Let us have a quick check on the features it offers.
Oracle VM VirtualBox Overview
- iSCSI support: You can directly connect with the iSCSI storage server without going through the host system.
- Multiprocessing hardware support: Oracle VM VirtualBox can present up to 32 virtual CPUs to each virtual machine.
- Remote machine display: With an extension, you can have access to any running Virtual Machine.
Plans from Oracle VM VirtualBox
Oracle VM VirtualBox provides a free version for both home and enterprise usage.
QEMU is another free Virtual Machine software that runs on macOS to provide you Windows Operating System. At first look, QEMU looks like an advanced, lightweight, easy setup option. It has decent emulation speed as it uses dynamic translation.
- Complete system emulation: This gives you full access to run Windows and its associated applications on your Mac.
- User mode emulation: Choose the mode that looks good for you.
- Virtualization: Run KVM and Xen virtual machines with near-native performance
Plans from QEMU
QEMU is a free VM software that you can use on your Mac. Just hit the Download option and follow the instructions to install it on your Mac.
CrossOver is an application you can use on your Mac to run every application you run with Windows OS. It is not precisely a Virtual Machine but a convenient way to run applications on Mac. You can easily integrate Windows applications with macOS to use apps from the Dock. CrossOver lets you run all productive software, utility programs, and games all in one application on your Mac.
If your only purpose is to use Windows applications on Mac, then this is the best recommendation.
- Run Windows software without rebooting: You do not require rebooting; install CrossOver and directly start using Windows applications on Mac. Now there is no issue with transferring files from one platform to another.
- One-click installation: This is easy to install, and instantly, you can CrossOver. Once you have clicked the INSTALL button, the rest of everything can be taken care of by CrossOver itself.
- Superfast speed: Run every application at its native rate. You won’t lose the momentum of your Mac applications, which helps provide the best gaming experience.
- Seamless integration: While using CrossOver, you do not require to transfer files from one file storage to others, so everything is available in one place, and you have seamless integration with other applications.
Plans from CrossOver
The CrossOver comes in one year and lifetime plan; you can also add upgrades to the latest versions. The CrossOver also provides you a 14-day free trial period, so you must try it first.
These are the top 5 Best Virtual Machine Software for Mac. You can choose according to your requirement. Many of the above offer you a free trial version, so you can try them for free before buying.
We hope you find the best one for you out of the above-listed Best VM Software for Mac. As per our experience of usage, we recommend you go for either Parallels Desktop or VMware. On our result, we found both of them are fantastic software to work with, and nothing goes wrong while using them.
Follow us on social media, Facebook, and Twitter for the latest software recommendations and deals. And do subscribe to the newsletter for tech tutorials directly on your email.
You may also like: